Journey to the land of Jesus
with Notre Dame Alumni and Friends
Please note: This pilgrimage is currently SOLD OUT.
We have received an overwhelming response and have sold out all seats on this pilgrimage. If you would like to be added to the waitlist, please contact our office at (574) 383-9396, and we will gladly add you to the list. We are also working on adding a second departure date in November 2019. Details about this second departure date will be released as soon as possible.
- Experience the Sacraments like never before: Renew your baptismal promises in the Jordan River, renew your marriage vows in Cana (or join in celebrating those that are doing so!), and celebrate Mass daily.
- Never read Scripture the same again: Ride on the Sea of Galilee, make a visit to Bethlehem, pray in the Garden of Gethsemane, kneel in the tomb of Jesus, and more!
- Dive into the mysteries of Lent: Pray the Stations of the Cross on the path Jesus walked to Calvary and experience the desert on a visit to Jericho and the Jordan River.
- And do all of this as a part of the Notre Dame family: Travel with your spiritual family - the University of Notre Dame alumni and friends - while being accompanied by chaplain, Rev. Matt Hovde, C.S.C. This pilgrimage will also make a visit to the Tantur Ecumenical Center, a Notre Dame-affiliated property, with a dinner and lecture.
Pictures below: (1) Garden of Gethsemane on the Mount of Olives; (2) Church of the Holy Sepulchre in Jerusalem; (3) Sea of Galilee; (4) Church of the Nativity in Bethlehem
Fr. Matthew Hovde, C.S.C., ’11, '15M.Div.
Fr. Matthew Hovde, a native of Miami, FL, came to the University of Notre Dame in the Fall of 2007, joining the Old College Seminary. He studied History and Theology, earning his BA from Notre Dame in 2011. After spending a year of formation in Colorado and professing his first vows in the Congregation of Holy Cross, he returned to the University of Notre Dame and earned his M.Div. in May of 2015. During his active ministry as a Holy Cross deacon and priest, Fr. Matt has worked at Notre Dame in residential life as well as Campus Ministry. He has served as an Assistant Rector in Sorin Hall, directed the Short Course Sacramental Preparation process, and assisted with Marriage Preparation. Fr. Matt currently serves in his second year as the Rector of Zahm Hall, one of Notre Dame’s undergraduate halls for men.
Dates of this pilgrimage are:
Saturday, March 9 through Monday, March 18, 2019 (10 days / 9 nights)
Day 1 - Depart U.S. (Chicago gateway)
Day 2 (D) - Tel Aviv and Nazareth, including Mass in the Basilica of the Annunciation and a welcome dinner. Overnight in Nazareth.
Day 3 (B, L) - Nazareth, Cana, and Caesarea Philippi. Overnight in Tiberias.
Day 4 (B) - Galilee Churches of Multiplication, Peter's Primacy, the Mount of Beatitudes, and Capernaum. Boat ride on the Sea of Galilee. Overnight in Tiberias.
Day 5 (B, L) - Mass in the Basilica of the Transfiguration followed by a drive into the West Bank to Jericho. Renew your baptismal promises in the Jordan River. Overnight in Jerusalem.
Day 6 (B, D) - Day in Bethlehem including the Church of the Nativity, Mass in the Shepherds' Fields, Manger Square, and the Milk Grotto. Overnight in Jerusalem.
This evening, visit Tantur Ecumenical Center (a Notre Dame property in Jerusalem) for a dinner and lecture.
Day 7 (B) - St. Anne's Church, Stations of the Cross along the Via Dolorosa, and the Basilica of the Holy Sepulchre. Afternoon free time with overnight stay in Jerusalem.
Day 8 (B, L) - Mount of Olives, including Church of the Ascension, Pater Noster, Dominus Flevit, the Garden of Gethsemane, and Mass in the Church of All Nations. Mount Zion including St. Peter in Gallincantu, the Upper Room, and Dormition Abbey. Jewish Quarter and Wailing Wall. Overnight in Jerusalem.
Day 9 (B, D) - Ein Karem including Church of St. John the Baptist and Church of the Visitation. Afternoon tour of Masada and optional float in the Dead Sea. Evening farewell dinner and overnight in Jerusalem.
Day 10 (B) - Depart for U.S. (Chicago gateway)
*(B, L, D) denotes meals (Breakfast, Lunch, and Dinner) that are included with the package.
As of April 25, 2018, this pilgrimage is SOLD OUT.
If you would like to be added to the waitlist, please contact us at (574) 383-9396. Also, a second departure date in November 2019 is currently being added. More details available soon.
Pilgrimage package includes:
- Pilgrimage preparation and follow-up materials delivered via email
- A dedicated pilgrimage guide who will accompany the group, supplemented with local guide(s)
- Custom-designed pilgrimage booklet for each pilgrim
- All included activities, events, and tickets
- Round-trip, economy-class airfare from Chicago O'Hare to Tel Aviv (additional cities available on request)
- Private, motor coach service while in the Holy Land
- Accommodations (8 nights) in 4-star and 5-star hotel properties with double-occupancy rooms, including taxes (with option to upgrade to single-occupancy)
- Nazareth: 1 night in Legacy Nazareth or similar
- Tiberias: 2 nights in Ron Beach Tiberias or similar
- Jerusalem: 5 nights in Notre Dame Center of Jerusalem or similar
- All gratuities (Bellman/chambermaid, guides, drivers, and meal service)
- Luggage handling (1 piece per person) in/out of hotels
- Breakfast daily (8 total) at hotel, 3 lunches, and 3 dinners
- Online preparation meeting for all pilgrims to review itinerary, activities, logistical arrangements, and prayer resources
Pilgrimage does not include:
- Any personal purchases and passport, visa, or luggage fees
- Meals while traveling, as well as 3 lunches, 3 dinners, and drinks at meals
- Recommended travel insurance (optional add-on available from the Alumni Association)
- Anything else not explicitly stated as included
This pilgrimage is currently SOLD OUT.
Notre Dame Pilgrim Rate: from $5,840 (from Chicago O'Hare)
Select U.S. cities*: from $6,040
*Select cities include: Atlanta, Boston, Cleveland, Dallas, Denver, Detroit, Houston, Los Angeles, Miami, Minneapolis, New York City, Orlando, Philadelphia, Phoenix, San Francisco, Tampa, and Washington, D.C.
Departures are available from most major U.S. airports. Please call us at (574) 383-9396 to receive your custom rate or if your city is not listed here.
Save $300! Register by July 1st, 2018, for early-bird savings of $200 and select to pay by check for another $100 savings.
- Early-bird pricing (register by July 1st, 2018): Save $200
- Single-occupancy supplement: Additional $949
- Land-only package (no flight included): $4,840 per person
- Pay balance by check: Save $100
Please note that singles are subject to availability. If you are a single traveler but would like to find a roommate, we will do our best to match you with another roommate. If you are a single traveler and we cannot find you a roommate, you would be required to pay the single-occupancy supplement for a single room.
How do I register?
- This pilgrimage is currently sold out.
- Deposit - $300 due upon registration
- Final balance - Due by November 9th, 2018
- Invoices will be emailed in October for the final balance. The final payment may be paid by credit/debit card, electronic bank transfer, check, or money order.
- During registration, if you elect to "pay balance by check," you will receive $100 off the pilgrimage fee, which will be reflected on your final invoice. If you elect to "pay balance by check," the final balance can be paid by electronic bank transfer, check, or money order.
Please note: Payment plans can be arranged if needed. Please contact us if you would like to pay in several installments.
How do I pay?
- During registration, the $300 deposit can be paid online with a credit card or debit card.
- The final payments may be paid credit/debit card, check, money order, or electronic bank transfer for no fee. Or, you can elect to "pay balance by check" during registration and save $100 off your pilgrimage fee. If you elect this option, you can make the final payment via electronic bank transfer, check, or money order. Checks and money orders can be made payable to "Verso Ministries LLC".
- Payments can be mailed to:
- Verso Ministries LLC
- P.O. Box 986
- Notre Dame, IN 46556
- Payments can be mailed to:
Registration is open until filled. If space is still available, registrations may be made at any time.
Late registrations made after November 9th, 2018, are subject to availability and may be subject to a different pilgrimage price. Registrations made after this date also may be subject to an alternate pilgrimage cost depending on flight availability. Please contact us directly if you have any questions.
What is your cancellation policy?
$150 of the $300 pilgrimage deposit is non-refundable. Cancellations are possible at any time, but refunds are subject to cancellation fees at the rates listed here.
- Cancellation after deposit and 91 days or more from departure: $150 per person
- 90-31 days prior to departure: $300
- 30-15 days prior to departure: $500
- 14-7 days prior to departure: $1,000
- 6 days or less: No refund given
Any cancellation charges incurred from other supplies or vendors (flight, lodging, ground transportation, etc.) may come in addition to the administrative fees listed above. Cancellation fees are for individual pilgrims.
Pricing also assumes a minimum of 15 pilgrims. Pricing may be subject to adjustment for a different size group.
Why is this is an estimated final package price?
Final airline taxes and fees may fluctuate until flights are ticketed (about 30 days prior to departure). Any excess fees levied by the airlines beyond the original total price at time of booking will be the responsibility of each pilgrim. Also, prices are based on the current (as of January 2018) exchange rate of 1 U.S. dollar to 3.45 ILS (Israeli New Shekel). Any drastic fluctuations in currency exchange rates could affect the final pilgrimage pricing.
If you have any questions about pricing and when final pricing decisions will be communicated, please do not hesitate to contact us at any time.