A pilgrimage to deepen Holy Cross spirituality.
Dates of this pilgrimage are:
May 27-June 3, 2018 - 8 Days/7 Nights
- Discover the birthplace of the three branches of Holy Cross - the priests, brothers, and sisters who all trace their roots back to Le Mans, France.
- Visit various sites important in the history and spirituality of Holy Cross - Le Mans, Laigné-en-Belin (where Fr. Moreau was born), L'Habit, Précigné, La Grande Trappe, and more!
- Enjoy pilgrimage sites in Chartres and Paris
The International Session is led by leaders from the Holy Cross community.
Sr. Ann Lacour, MSC is a native of New Orleans and a Marianite product from kindergarten through the University of Holy Cross. She entered the Marianites of Holy Cross in 1967 and has served as teacher, principal, superintendent, and director of development. She presently serves as the Congregational Leader
for the Marianites and has been part of the International Session Team since 2008. She has a deep attachment to Mother Mary of the Seven Dolors and loves the sites that call us to deepen our roots in Holy Cross Spirituality.
Sr. Renée Daigle, MSC is originally from Houma, LA, and was educated by the Marianites from kindergarten through high school. She entered the Marianite Congregation in 1985 and has since served as teacher, missionary, and Vocation Director. She has been a Campus Minister at Southeastern Louisiana University
in Hammond, LA, since 2008 and also serves on the Marianite Leadership team since 2017. Sr. Renée was a participant in the International Session in 1993 and 2009. She has been part of the team since 2013 and loves being a bridge to help others discover and explore the sacred roots of Holy Cross.
Br. Joel Giallanza, CSC was born and raised in New Orleans and educated by the Brothers of Holy Cross. He entered the Congregation of Holy Cross after high school. After completing undergraduate studies at St. Edward’s University in Austin, Texas, he taught for several years at Moreau Catholic High School in Hayward, California. Br. Joel has conducted retreats and workshops on the spiritual and religious life in Africa, Asia, Canada, Latin America, Oceania, and the U.S. He is the author of The Seven Sorrows of Mary: A Meditative Guide and Praying from the Heart of Holy Cross Spirituality: A 30–Day Retreat with Basil Moreau, both published by Ave Maria Press. He is the Senior member of the International Session in Holy Cross Spirituality.
Fr. Greg Haake, CSC is originally from Kansas City, Missouri, and first came to know the Family of Holy Cross as an undergraduate at the University of Notre Dame. He was ordained a Holy Cross Priest in 2007. After serving two years at Holy Cross Parish in South Bend, Indiana, he obtained his doctorate in French literature in 2015. Since then, he has been serving as an assistant professor of French at the University of Notre Dame. A specialist in Renaissance French literature, Fr. Greg also offers a wide range of knowledge on the history of France and the French Church. He has been involved with the International Session since 2011, and his particular focus is on the spirituality of Blessed Basil Moreau and the life and times of Fr. Edward Sorin.
Days 1-4: Arrival and Le Mans
- Visit the Shrine of Blessed Basil Moreau and pray at the tomb of Fr. Moreau
- Spend time at the Solitude of the Savior - home to the Marianites of Holy Cross and where Fr. Moreau frequented
- Walk through the Old City of Le Mans, including the Cathedral of St. Julian
- Visit Laigné-en-Belin (hometown of Fr. Moreau), Précigné, La Grande Trappe, and L'Habit
- Pray at the Benedictine Abbey of Saint-Pierre de Solesmes
Days 5-8: Chartres and Paris
- Enjoy a day in Chartres, with a tour of the famous Chartres Cathedral and lunch at a local, French restaurant
- Make a pilgrimage through the streets of Paris, with visits to:
- Notre-Dame Cathedral
- Saint-Sulpice Church
- Miraculous Medal Chapel
- Saint Vincent de Paul Church
- Sacré-Coeur and the Montmartre neighborhood
- Also have some free time in Paris to explore the city on your own
The group will gather at noon on Sunday, May 27, at the Paris Charles de Gaulle (CDG) airport. All pilgrims should plan to arrive at the airport by this time.
The pilgrimage will conclude on the morning of Sunday, June 3. A bus will be available to transfer pilgrims to the CDG airport by 10 a.m. on this date. To be safe, pilgrims should arrange flights to depart at 1 p.m. or later on this day. If they wish, pilgrims can elect to arrange their own transportation to the airport at their own expense, if they have an earlier or later flight.
Pilgrims should anticipate a moderate level of walking, and there will be occasional walking on rough, uneven pavement.
Also, please note that this is a tentative itinerary and is subject to change. View the pilgrimage brochure for full pilgrimage details, terms, and conditions.
Space is limited to 40 participants.
Pilgrimage package includes:
- Pilgrimage preparation and follow-up materials (learn about the history of Holy Cross, Moreau, and French Catholicism)
- Dedicated pilgrimage guide who will accompany the group
- Talks from the International Session Team
- Daily Mass, prayer, and reflection time
- All events, activities, and donations
- Ground transportation while in France
- Private coach bus for Days 1-5, Metro tickets (2 per day) provided for Days 6-7. Morning airport transfer to CDG on Day 8 (arrive by 10 a.m.)
- Meals - Breakfast provided each day at lodging (7 total), 4 lunches, and 3 dinners
- Double-occupancy lodging in 3-star hotels (7 nights total - 4 nights in Le Mans, 3 nights in Paris)
- Single-occupancy supplement available for additional fee (limited quantity available)
Pilgrimage does not include:
- Transportation to/from Paris (we can arrange this for a $50 booking fee, simply note this on your registration)
- 3 lunches, 4 dinners, and drinks at meals
- Any personal purchases
- Recommended travel insurance (optional add-on)
- Gratuities for guide(s)
- Passport or visa fees
- Anything else not explicitly stated as included
Registration is now open!
Cost of this pilgrimage is $2,347 per person.
Please remember the package does not include airfare to/from Paris.
A limited amount of single-occupancy rooms are available for a $599 single-occupancy supplement fee.
How do I register?
- Register online now!
- For your convenience, registration can be made online and the $300 deposit can be made with a credit card or debit card.
- If you need to pay the deposit by check or electronic bank transfer, please contact us. It's possible!
- Deposit - $300 due upon registration
- Final balance - Due by January 27, 2018 (if registered before January 27) or within 2 weeks of registration (if registered after January 27)
- A final invoice will be emailed right after registration, at which point the final balance may be paid by electronic bank transfer, check, or money order for no charge. If you'd like to pay the final invoice by credit or debit card, it would be subject to a 3.5% payment processing fee.
Please note: Payment plans can be arranged if needed. Please contact us if you would like to pay in several installments.
How do I pay?
- During registration, the $300 deposit can be paid online with a credit card or debit card.
- The final balance may be paid check, money order, or electronic bank transfer for no fee. If you wish to pay the remaining balance by credit card, a 3.5% payment processing fee will be added to the final balance. Checks and money orders can be made payable to "Verso Ministries LLC".
- Payments can be mailed to:
- Verso Ministries LLC
- P.O. Box 986
- Notre Dame, IN 46556
- Payments can be mailed to:
- If you have any difficulties making a payment, please do not hesitate to contact us at (574) 383-9396 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Registration is open until filled. If space is still available, registrations may be made at any time, but no later than April 12, 2018. Please contact us directly if you have any questions.
What is your cancellation policy?
$150 of the $300 pilgrimage deposit is non-refundable. Cancellations are possible at any time, but refunds are subject to cancellation fees at the rates listed here.
- Cancellation 91 days or more from departure: $150
- 90-31 days prior to departure: $300
- 30-15 days prior to departure: $500
- 14-7 days prior to departure: $1000
- 6 days or less no refund will be given.
Any cancellation charges incurred from other supplies or vendors (flight, lodging, ground transportation, etc.) may come in addition to the administrative fees listed above.
*Quoted prices are based on the current exchange rate of 1 Euro to 1.2 U.S. dollar. Rates also assume a minimum of 15 full-paying pilgrims.
Please contact us with any questions!
Keep me in the loop!
Sign up below to keep up-to-date on all the latest about the International Session.