The Diocese of Forth Wayne-South Bend Young Adult Ministry office has announced the availability of four, $500 need-based scholarships for young adult pilgrims wishing to attend this pilgrimage! Download the application below. Deadline to apply is February 5, 2018.
The Camino is a popular walking pilgrimage route in northern Spain that ends in Santiago. The main destination is to the tomb of the apostle, St. James, who is buried in the Cathedral. For centuries, pilgrims have traveled this route in search of forgiveness, healing, and answers to any number of other prayers. Each day on the Camino consists of about 10-18 miles of hiking, and pilgrims stay in family-run albuerges along the way. This is a true pilgrimage experience!
Dates of this pilgrimage are:
Saturday, June 16 - Sunday, June 24, 2018 - 9 Days/8 Nights
- Walk the final 100 km of the Camino Francés (the French route) - from Sarria to Santiago
- Attend the pilgrim's Mass at the Cathedral of Santiago de Compostela
- Travel with fellow young adults from the Diocese of Fort Wayne-South Bend
- Experience one of our tradition's greatest pilgrimages!
This pilgrimage is a collaboration of the Diocese of Fort Wayne-South Bend and Verso Ministries. It is also sponsored by the Bon Secours Young Adults Ministry.
A note from our chaplain, Fr. Terry Coonan! Fr. Terry will travel with the group and celebrate Mass each day along the way.
"Hello! My name is Father Terrence (Terry) M. Coonan, Jr. and I was born in Fort Wayne, IN, attending Bishop Dwenger High School. After two years studying engineering at the University of Dayton, I transferred into seminary at St. Mary’s in Winona, MN, and then the Pontifical College Josephinum in Columbus, OH. I was ordained for the diocese of Fort Wayne-South Bend in 2011 alongside my older brother, Matthew (St. Vincent de Paul, Elkhart), and have served in multiple parishes in the South Bend area: St. Pius X, St. John the Baptist, and St. Thérèse, Little Flower. I have been chaplain at Saint Joseph High School since ordination as well, where I am able to continue playing soccer and basketball like I did as a student in high school. I’ve traveled a little since seminary: Rome/Assisi (a few times), Mexico (to learn Spanish one summer), Spain (World Youth Day 2011), Malta (pilgrimage) and Poland (World Youth Day 2016). I’ve done some hiking in my life but not a whole lot. Things went well in Yellowstone National Park after college graduation, and just last summer in Colorado (my first 14,000ft summit, pic below). I’m looking forward to the Camino, which I have talked about doing for a long time and have heard wonderful stories about. I think it will be a powerful experience of the love of God and of the gritty Christian life we are all called to embrace. Buen camino!"
Day 1: Meet the group about 10:30 a.m. (site TBD) to transfer to Chicago O'Hare. Overnight flight to Santiago, Spain.
Day 2: Transfer from Santiago airport to Sarria. Welcome dinner and overnight in Sarria.
Day 3: Start walking! From Sarria to Portomarin (22.7 km - 14.1 miles)
Day 4: From Portomarin to Palas de Rei (24.6 km - 15.3 miles)
Day 5: From Palas de Rei to Ribadiso (26.3 km - 16.3 miles)
Day 6: From Ribadiso to Pedrouzo Arca (23.7 km - 14.7 miles)
Day 7: From Pedrouzo Arca to Santiago (20.1 km - 12.5 miles)
Day 8: Full day in Santiago, with closing reflection and farewell dinner. Overnight in Santiago.
Day 9: Return flight from Santiago to Chicago and transfer back to South Bend (site TBD). Approximate arrival home about 6 p.m.
Please note that this is a tentative itinerary and is subject to change.
Also, this is an intense, physical journey. Pilgrims must carry all belongings with them along the Camino. Facilities and amenities along the path can be few and far between.
If you would rather meet the group in Spain (in Santiago or Sarria), you can elect to do the "land-only" package. This gives you the flexibility to travel on your own schedule. You can also elect to come early or stay later, or hike more of the Camino and meet the group on Day 2 in Sarria.
Space is limited to 40 participants. The priority deadline to register is March 1, 2018. After this date, pilgrims can still inquire about joining the pilgrimage pending availability.
Pilgrimage package includes:
- Pilgrimage preparation and follow-up materials, along with preparation meetings and training sessions (we're in this together!)
- A dedicated pilgrimage guide and a chaplain who will accompany the group in Spain
- Daily Mass
- Round-trip airfare from Chicago O'Hare to Santiago, Spain (unless you opt for the "land-only" option)
- Airport transfers (South Bend to/from Chicago, Santiago to Sarria, and to Santiago airport)
- 2 Dinners
- 7 nights lodging in traditional albuerges ("pilgrim houses") Please note: Accommodations along the Camino are very simple. Rooms and bathrooms are typically in shared spaces.
Pilgrimage does not include:
- Passport, luggage, or visa fees
- Any personal purchases
- All meals other than the 2 dinners included
- Recommended travel insurance (optional add-on)
- Gratuities for guide(s)
- Anything else not explicitly stated as included
Registration is now open!
Cost of this pilgrimage is only $2,187 per person!
Land-only package (no flight) is $1,287 per person. If you'd like the land-only package, please check the appropriate box on the registration page.
This trip is being organized by the Diocese of Fort Wayne-South Bend Young Adult Ministry office and Verso Ministries. The primary audience is young adults living in and around Fort Wayne and South Bend, Indiana. The pilgrimage is also open any young adults not living in the area, as well as anyone else who may be interested (and who is ready for an adventure!).
How do I register?
- Register online now!
- For your convenience, registration can be made online and the $300 deposit can be made with a credit card or debit card.
- Deposit - $300 due upon registration
- Final balance - Due by March 1, 2018
- A final invoice will be emailed in early February, at which point the final balance may be paid by electronic bank transfer, check, or money order.
- Late payments (after March 1) may be subject to a $150 late fee.
Please note: Payment plans can be arranged if needed. Please contact us if you would like to pay in several installments.
How do I pay?
- During registration, the $300 deposit can be paid online with a credit card or debit card.
- The final balance may be paid check, money order, or electronic bank transfer for no fee. If you wish to pay the remaining balance by credit card, a 3.5% payment processing fee will be added to the final balance. Checks and money orders can be made payable to "Verso Ministries LLC".
- Payments can be mailed to:
- Verso Ministries LLC
- P.O. Box 986
- Notre Dame, IN 46556
- Payments can be mailed to:
Registration is open until filled. If space is still available, registrations may be made at any time.
Late registrations made after March 1, 2018, must be paid in full and include the $150 late fee. Registrations made after March 1 also may be subject to an alternate pilgrimage cost depending on flight availability. Please contact us directly if you have any questions.
What is your cancellation policy?
$150 of the $300 pilgrimage deposit is non-refundable. Cancellations are possible at any time, but refunds are subject to cancellation fees at the rates listed here.
- Cancellation 91 days or more from departure: $150
- 90-31 days prior to departure: $300
- 30-15 days prior to departure: $500
- 14-7 days prior to departure: $1000
- 6 days or less no refund will be given.
Any cancellation charges incurred from other supplies or vendors (flight, lodging, ground transportation,
etc.) may come in addition to the administrative fees listed above. Cancellation fees are for individual pilgrims.
*Please note: Airline taxes and fees may fluctuate until flights are ticketed (about 30 days prior to departure). Any excess fees levied by the airlines beyond the original total price at time of booking will be the responsibility of each pilgrim. Also, quoted prices are based on the current exchange rate of 1 Euro to 1.2 U.S. dollar. Final price may fluctuate based on final exchange rates when travel vendors finalize payments (typically between 30-90 days prior to departure). Rates also assume a minimum of 15 full-paying pilgrims.