Experience the heart of the church
A pilgrimage designed for Benet Academy students and families.
A pilgrimage to Rome is a chance to experience the heart of the Church - a Church which has been present over centuries in the Eternal City. Millions of pilgrims have visited Rome through the ages to walk through the doors of St. Peter's Basilica, St. John Lateran, St. Mary Major, St. Paul Outside the Walls, and countless other sacred sites in Rome. This pilgrimage offers a chance to visit some of the Church's most treasured and inspiration places, as well as learn about some of the Church's most fascinating saints.
In addition, this pilgrimage will visit the birthplace of the Benedictine order at Subiaco and Monte Cassino. You will get to visit the cave where is it believed that St. Benedict made his first hermitage. You will spend time with local Benedictines and learn more about the unique spirituality and charism of the Benedictine community - one of the largest monastic communities in the world still today. You will also have a day in Assisi, hometown of St. Francis and St. Clare, to discover the founding and history of the Franciscans.
Overall, this pilgrimage is an opportunity for you to visit the heart of the Church and reflect on the ways you, too, are part of the Church's story and mission. Each of us, by virtue of our baptism, are invited and called to partake in spreading the Gospel in our own way. Through this pilgrimage experience, you will spend time in these sacred sites in order to discover your role within the story and mission of the Church.
Dates of this pilgrimage are:
Wednesday, June 6 - Friday, June 15, 2018
Highlights of this pilgrimage include:
- Ample time to tour and pray at the four Major Basilicas
- St. Peter's Basilica
- St. John Lateran
- St. Mary Major
- St. Paul Outside the Walls
- Tour of the Vatican Museums and a visit to the Sistine Chapel
- Attend Mass in various languages of the world (Italian, French, and some English too)
- Tour of the Catacombs on the outskirts of Rome
- Pray with the Passion Relics and on the "Holy Stairs"
- Learn about the beginnings of the Benedictines at Subiaco, Monte Cassino, and within Rome
- Visit the cave where St. Benedict first lived as a hermit and Benedict's first monastery
- Hike in the mountains as St. Benedict would have done
- Discover Assisi, hometown of Sts. Francis and Clare
- Walking tour of Rome, including the Forum, Coliseum, Trevi Fountain, Pantheon, and Piazza Navona
- Free time to explore the history and culture (and food!) of Rome
Pilgrims should expect a moderate level of walking.
For full details with all terms and conditions, please download the pilgrimage brochure.
Pilgrimage package includes:
- Pilgrimage preparation and follow-up materials sent via email, along with a pilgrimage journal during the journey
- A dedicated pilgrimage guide who will lead the group, along with local tour guides
- Daily mass, prayer, and reflection time
- All entrance fees, activities, and tours
- Round-trip, economy-class airfare from Chicago to Rome
- Ground transportation while in Italy
- Private, coach bus or minivans
- Individual metro passes in Rome as needed
- Meals - breakfast each day and approximately one lunch/dinner per day (varies each day)
- Accommodations in religious guesthouses or similar
- Double-occupancy for adults and chaperones
- Double, triple, and/or quad-occupancy for students
- Single-Occupancy supplement available for additional fee ($599 per person)
- Pilgrimage t-shirt with custom-designed artwork
Pilgrimage package does not include:
- Some meals (about one per day), drinks at meals, and any personal purchases
- Recommended travel insurance
- Gratuities for guide(s) and driver(s)
- Passport, visa, or luggage fees
For full terms and conditions, please download the pilgrimage brochure.
Estimated final cost of this pilgrimage is $3,799* per person.
Save $100 today! Early-bird price only $3,699, ends October 30th, 2017.
A limited amount of single-occupancy rooms are available for a $599 single supplement fee.
- Deposit - $300 due upon registration
- Dec. 1, 2017 - $1,500
- Feb. 1, 2018 - Remaining balance (est. $1,899 early-bird or $1,999 regular)
To make payments:
- Deposit of $300 due upon registration and can be paid via credit card or electronic bank transfer
- For remaining payments (due Dec. 1 and Feb. 1), invoices will be emailed directly to each pilgrim and can be paid directly online with electronic bank transfer. Alternatively, you may also elect to pay by check, money order, or credit card:
- Check or money order:
- Made out to "Verso Ministries, LLC"
- Mail to P.O. Box 986, Notre Dame, IN 46556
- Credit card:
- For your convenience, credit card payments can be made for the $300 deposit at no charge. For the remaining balance, credit card payments are accepted with a 3.5% payment processing fee. Please contact us directly if you would like to set this up.
- Check or money order:
*Please note: Airline taxes and fees may fluctuate until flights are ticketed (about 30 days prior to departure). Any excess fees levied by the airlines beyond the original total price at time of booking will be the responsibility of each pilgrim. Also, quoted prices are based on the current exchange rate of 1 Euro to 1.2 U.S. dollar. Final price may fluctuate based on final exchange rates when travel vendors finalize payments (typically between 30-90 days prior to departure).
All cancellations must be made in writing. $150 of the $300 deposit is non-refundable. Cancellation fees are as follows: 91 days or more from first day of pilgrimage: $150; 90-31 days prior: $300; 30-15 days prior: $500. 14-7 days prior: $1000; 6 days or less no refund will be given. Any cancellation charges incurred from other supplies or vendors (lodging, ground transportation, etc.) will come in addition to the administrative fees listed above. Cancellation fees are for individual pilgrims.
Space is limited to 42 participants.
Priority for this pilgrimage is given to students of Benet Academy in Lisle, Illinois. Since this pilgrimage occurs over the summer, any current student or graduating senior (as of June 2018) are welcome to participate, and 25 of the 42 spots will be reserved for students. Families of students (parents, siblings, and other close relatives) are also welcome to register for the pilgrimage. Any other pilgrims interested in joining the group are invited to contact us to inquire about availability on the pilgrimage.
Register now online!
Please note: If you are registering more than one person at a time, please sign them up one at a time.