Renew your spirit
A young adult pilgrimage sponsored by the Diocese of Lafayette-in-Indiana (must be over 21 to participate).
The lands along the border of Indiana and Kentucky are known for many things in American culture - the Kentucky Derby, the home of Louisville Slugger (the most trusted bat in baseball), the world's best bourbon along the Bourbon Trail, to name a few.
But a little more off the beaten path you will stumble upon two of the region's most crowning jewels (especially if you're Catholic) - the Abbey of Gethsemani and the St. Meinrad Archabbey. The former, a Cistercian Abbey that became a household name after its most famous monk - Thomas Merton. The ladder, a Benedictine stronghold still home to over 90 monks.
Thomas Merton was the real deal. Maybe you've heard of him? One of the most famous Catholic monks and writers of the 20th Century, Merton lived the majority of his life within the walls of Gethsemani. Author of countless books, essays, and poems, Merton's influence was felt around the world in areas from spirituality to peace to civil rights. Merton lived a life of prayer, contemplation, and monastic asceticism, while at the same time conversing with the outside world through the written word.
This pilgrimage will explore all of the cultural and religious wonders of Indiana and Kentucky as we pray with the monks at both Gethsemani and St. Meinrad - while also enjoying the history and tradition of the Bourbon Trail. Come "renew your spirit" on this pilgrimage which will explore the intersection of faith and culture, sacred and profane, spiritual and physical refreshment.
This pilgrimage is a collaboration of the Diocese of Lafayette-in-Indiana and Verso Ministries. It is also supported by a generous grant from the Friends of Young Adult Ministry.
Dates of this pilgrimage are:
Friday, August 4 - Sunday, August 6, 2017
Highlights of this pilgrimage include:
- Pray at the Abbey of Gethsemani, the Cisterican monastery of Thomas Merton, and Saint Meinrad Archabbey, a Benedictine community.
- Visit the Basilica of St. Joseph Proto-Cathedral in Bardstown, Kenctucky.
- Explore the history and spirits of the Bourbon Trail, with stops at two local distilleries
- Refresh your spirit with time for prayer, reflection, and spiritual refreshment
The pilgrimage is tentatively set to depart from St. Alphonsus Liguori in Zionsville at 1:30 p.m. on Friday, August 4, and return approximately 5 p.m. on Sunday, August 6.
Pilgrimage package includes:
- Pilgrimage preparation and follow-up materials
- A dedicated pilgrimage guide
- Daily Mass, prayer, and reflection time
- All events, activities, and donations
- Round-trip transportation from northern Indianapolis (pickup location - St. Alphonsus Liguori in Zionsville)
- Most meals (donated by sponsoring parishes)
- Lodging in simple, communal accommodations
Please note: Distillery tours and bourbon tastings are included in the pilgrimage package, but pilgrims are not required to participate.
Pilgrimage package does not include:
- One meal and any personal purchases
- Optional travel insurance
Cost of this pilgrimage is $155.
$50 deposit due upon registration. Final balance ($105) due by July 1, 2017.
This pilgrimage is supported by a generous gift from the Friends of Young Adult Ministry.
Payment Options for $50 deposit:
- Credit card
- Electronic bank transfer
- Check or money order (made out to "Verso Ministries LLC")
- Send to: Verso Ministries LLC
- P.O. Box 986
- Notre Dame, IN 46556
If you would like to pay by check or money order, please contact us before you register online.
Please note, in mid-June, electronic invoices will be emailed directly to all registrants for final balance. Final balance may be paid by credit card, electronic bank transfer, check, or money order.
$50 of the registration fee is non-refundable. Cancelling 30-7 days prior to departure, $80 of the fee is non-refundable. Cancelling 6 days or less no refund is available. Please contact us right away if you need to cancel for any reason.
Registration is first-come, first-serve. All spots are open until filled. Any young adult over the age of 21 (at the time of departure) is welcome to register.
Reserve your spot today!
Please feel free to contact us at any time!